OUR INAUGURAL GALA, “A TABLE AT LECIRQUE SEASIDE” WAS AN ENORMOUS SUCCESS!
The Gargiulo Education Center is a pro bono agricultural, migrant and at-risk after-school program founded in the year 2000 under the umbrella of Redlands Christian Migrant Program. In 2014, the Gargiulo Education Center became its own 501c3. Instead of returning home from school to an empty house, the Gargiulo Education Center provides academic enrichment opportunities in a safe and nurturing environment to low-income, disadvantaged, at-risk students from kindergarten to high school (K-12) at no cost to the families.
At least 25 percent of our students have learning deficits and/or emotional challenges. Not only do some of the migrant families uproot and leave their homes in North Naples (Collier County) after the season has concluded, which in itself is traumatic, but upon their return, some of the children have missed a month or more of school. It is extremely challenging for these children to catch up academically and emotionally, especially because over 90% of their parents do not speak English. Our program focuses on tutoring in reading, writing, math, and entrepreneurial activities. We try to work with the children on a one-to-one basis in accordance to their needs and interests.
LEARN MORE ABOUT US and help us plant the seeds that foster a lifetime of learning!
WHAT THE EDUCATION CENTER OFFERS
All 60 students are separated by grade to be with their core teachers for tutoring in grade level content. In addition, we offer extracurricular programs to the students including STEAM classes 4 days a week. They work in small groups with certified STEAM teachers and participate in thought-provoking activities. Through this program, our students have gained confidence and stepped outside of themselves with an eagerness to learn more. The Education Center helps provide experiences similar to their school peers.
Highlights of our programs include:
- Technology (coding/computers/web)
- Engineering (3D printing/design/robotics)
- EAP – Entrepreneurial Apprenticeship Program
- The Entrepreneurial Apprenticeship Program opens the door to career paths and trades that our students may otherwise not be familiar with.
- The students learn basic work skills such as social media, operations, maintenance, administrative duties, data work, budgeting, and event planning while earning paid stipends.
- The GEC Junior Committee is a part of the center’s Entrepreneurial Apprenticeship Program and was established to empower and engage students in decision making in their school for rules, disciplines, activities, and events.
- They have created the GEC Reward Store to reward their fellow students at the center for good grades, manners, and behavior. The students earn points and then convert the points into dollars to purchase items at the store.
- Etiquette lessons offered at Cypress Woods where students learn hospitality skills.
- Health and Wellness
- Eyesight and Hearing Testing (Lion’s Club)
- After School Nutrition Program (ANP)
As a part of our new fundraising initiatives, we are thrilled to announce many new ways you can support us. Now you have the option to donate not only to our annual programs and educational activities, but you can also give a lifetime gift to GEC as well. In collaboration with the Community Foundation of Collier County, the Gargiulo Education Center has established an endowment fund where contributions to the fund will be held, invested in an endowment fund for lifetime giving. This Fund was created to ensure the longevity of our commitment to the success in our students’ future.
Various ways to donate to this fund are: appreciated stock, bonds, cash and other assets such as bequests, charitable leads trusts, charitable remainder trust, life insurance, annuities and retirement plans on a tax-favorable basis.
Please make checks payable to the Gargiulo Education Center, and designate the Gargiulo Endowment Fund within the memo.
Gargiulo Education Center
1414 Rail Head Blvd.
Naples, FL 34110
Call Mary Asta for more information at 239-596-1975 or you may send your gifts directly to the Gargiulo Education Center.
Teens of Gargiulo Education Center explore career choices BY ANDREA STETSON JUNE 3, 2019 Getty Images There are many future opportunities for the teenagers … READ MORE
‘Nothing scares me’ BY ANDREA STETSON JAN. 05, 2019 MIDNIGHT Mary Asta has performed as an actress and model in New York, California, Las Vegas and … READ MORE
THANKS TO OUR PARTNERS